Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Club Questions: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Please post your thoughts in the comments below?

1. How did you like the book? Had you heard of it? Would you normally read this style of book?


2. How would you characterize Juliet? Did you like her?

3. Who was your favorite character?

4.If you had lived on Guernsey just before the occupation, do you think you would have sent your children to England without you?

You can always e-mail me if you have ideas for additional questions?

Also, you may be interested in checking out this web site about the book:

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey/book-clubs/


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have read this book based on the title but I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'm fascinated with stories about the survivors of WWII. Juliet and Isola were my favs. Was not a fan of the ending I think I would've liked to hear more about Juliet and Dawsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is not written in a format I would normally read. Had it not been for the book club, I probably would have stopped reading it once I realized the whole thing was in letter format. I am glad it was for the club, though, because I did enjoy it. I had not heard of this book before. I ended up really liking the letter format because it was easy to find breaking points. I also liked how it gave small fragments of the characters' lives and personalities.
    Juliet's character seemed to be somewhat whimiscal and very indecisive, but she was likable. She had a big heart, and really cared for these people that she met, at first, only through letter correspondence. Once she got to know them, she loved them and wanted to help them.
    My favorite character was Sidney. He was like a protective "big brother" to Juliet, and went out of his was to be kind and helpful to her friends, who he really didn't know very well, but knew they were important to her.
    Although it would have been one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make, if it I thought it would have kept my children safer, I would have begrudgingly sent him to England during the occupation.

    ReplyDelete